DIY Body Wash
I've been using this body wash recipe for a few months now and I love it! It makes my skin feel very soft and I don't have any of the body wash residue. I've tried it with a few different essential oils blends and comes out nice every time! The best part about it, is that it takes about 5 minutes to put together and a lot of the ingredients are things I have around the house!
So what is in this body wash?
* Castile soap - Castile soap is loosely defined as a pure vegetable-based soap. It originally was made from olive oil but while it makes a great moisturizing soap, it doesn't really lather well. Most castile soap is made from a mixture of olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, or any other kind of vegetable-based oil. It is mixed with potassium hydroxide and the chemical reaction that occurs creates what we use as Castile soap! It is safe and gentle on the skin! (1) I choose unscented Castile soap so I can add my own essential oils and so I avoid the harsh chemical fragrances that may be added to the scented Castile soap.
* Raw Honey - Honey has had a place in traditional medicine for centuries. It has many therapeutic effects, including antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory properties. It has historically been used to help in wound healing (2).
When I was working in the ICU, it was also occassionally used for wound healing in pressure ulcers, which I thought it was amazing to see traditional medicine being used in modern medicine!
* Fractionated Coconut Oil (or Sweet Almond Oil)
Coconut oil is an effective moisturizer and is beneficial for dry skin. It has antioxidant properties and can help with wrinkles and other effects of aging (3).
Almond oil also has properties beneficial to the skin, including anti-inflammatory. It can help with dry skin, improving complexion and tone, and smoothing and rejuvenating skin (4).
I use sweet almond oil for this recipe because that is what I have on hand!
* Essential Oils
You can use any combination of oils you want, whether it be for their therapeutic effects or their scent. Below I've listed a few recipe combinations I have tried already!
4 oz. body wash container (I just got a travel size container from Wegman's)
3 TBSP Castile Soap
3 TBSP Raw Honey (I got mine from Costco but you can get it at the grocery store)
Essential Oils ** see below for blend ideas
* Mix Castile soap, raw honey, and coconut/almond oil together
* Add Essential Oils of choice
* Mix together
* Shake before each use so it lathers nicely - the soap and honey seperate when it sits
** I've tried a couple different Essential Oil blends. Here are a few of them I have tried already! **
5 drops Lavender
5 drops Lemongrass
5 drops Peppermint
5 drops Lemongrass
Morning Start Blend
10 drops Peppermint
5 drops Lemongrass
5 drops Rosemary
5 drops Juniper
As I try more blends, I will update this recipe to give you some more ideas!
In order to be compliant with Young Living and the FDA, I have left out the reference information regarding essential oils. If you have any questions, want to know more about the effects of essential oils, or want to know where I get my information about essential oils, please message me!
The FDA has not evaluated the statements on this website. No claims are made as to any medicinal value of these formulas, products or oils. Products, information, and descriptions presented here are for educational purposes of the traditional uses of essential oils only and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. This information should not be used as a substitute for medical counseling with a health care professional. Individuals with serious illnesses should consult a qualified health care professional.