DIY Laundry Detergent
I just started making this laundry detergent and I have to say, I really love it! I've been using it since last fall and I am always amazed that our laundry comes out clean with detergent I made! My latest wow moment was just the other day. I let my daughter eat some strawberries and it got ALL OVER HER!
Here is the aftermath....
I am literally amazed! I thought for sure those pants were done for!
So what is in this laundry detergent?
* Castile soap - Castile soap is loosely defined as a pure vegetable-based soap. It originally was made from olive oil but while it makes a great moisturizing soap, it doesn't really lather well. Most castile soap is made from a mixture of olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, or any other kind of vegetable-based oil. It is mixed with potassium hydroxide and the chemical reaction that occurs creates what we use as Castile soap! It is safe and gentle on the skin! (1) I choose unscented Castile soap so I can add my own essential oils and so I avoid the harsh chemical fragrances that may be added to the scented Castile soap.
* Baking Soda - Baking soda is quite an amazing product. It's probably most commonly known as an ingredient in baking. Before I started this chemical-free, nontoxic lifestyle, I had no idea that you could use baking soda for things other than baking! Baking soda is a soluble salt that will intact with acids from stains and dirt and help remove them (2). This means is naturally whitens your laundry!
* Super Washing Soda - Washing Soda is a natural cleaner and booster used in natural cleaning. It is a alkaline substance, which makes it great in degreasing, brightening, and cleaning tough messes. The original purpose of washing soda is as a laundry booster. This means, it brightens, cleans, and deodorizes your laundry (3)!
* Essential Oil - You can use any combination of oils you want, whether it be for their therapeutic effects or their scent. For this laundry detergent, I alternate between Purification and Lavender/Lemon combination. Purification is a blend from Young Living that contains Citronella, Rosemary, Lemongrass, Tea Tree, Lavandin, and Myrtle essential oils. Personally, it is one of my favorite blends. Its is commonly used as a deodorizer, which makes it perfect in laundry detergent!
* 1/4 cup Baking Soda (can be found in your grocery store)
* 1/4 cup Super Washing Soda (I found mine in my grocery store)
* 30 drops Essential Oils
* Boil water. This is so you can dissolve the baking soda and super washing soda.
* Put the baking soda and washing soda in a measuring cup or pourable glass.
* Pour some of the hot water over the baking soda and washing soda. Mix. It might take a couple times of doing this until it fully dissolves!
* Once the baking soda and super washing soda has dissolved, pour it into the 1 gallon glass jug.
* Add Castile soap and essential oils to the glass jug.
* Fill the rest of the glass jug with water.
* When you are ready to do laundry, you only need 1/3 cup of this detergent for each load!
The FDA has not evaluated the statements on this website. No claims are made as to any medicinal value of these formulas, products or oils. Products, information, and descriptions presented here are for educational purposes of the traditional uses of essential oils only and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. This information should not be used as a substitute for medical counseling with a health care professional. Individuals with serious illnesses should consult a qualified health care professional.